Category

Community

“Cold in July”

Record Twin Cities Cold Snap Coincides With Baseball All-Star Game Unfortunately, “Cold in July” isn’t just the name of an obscure new movie. Depending on your definition of cold — mine is needing a sweater in the Summer — the last few days in the Twin Cities definitely qualify (overnight lows have been in the 50’s.)...
Read More

“Help! Get Me the Help Line for the Help Line!”

Unhelpful “Help”:  Profit Center For Them, Aggravation Center for Customers Tied up in knots recently with Intuit’s “Quicken” financial software, I reluctantly popped another $35 for access to their help line for 3 months. Yup, Intuit charges for customer service (make that, “premium customer service”). Which just made me even more aggravated, given all the 27...
Read More

Shrinking Habitat? Not For Twin Cities Ducks

After the Deluge (Hopefully) Yes, I know that the habitats of everything from timber wolves to moose to monarch butterflies are now stressed and shrinking. But, thanks to anywhere from 5″ to more than 10″(!) of rain so far just this month, the metro area is literally awash in new ponds and wetlands. Like this...
Read More

Internet Acronyms: “LOL,” “BFF” . . . “T/T”

Internet Shorthand for MM (“Middle-Aged Men”) What rule says only teenage girls (or boys) can coin Internet acronyms? See, “LOL”* (“laugh out loud”); “IMHO (“in my humble opinion”), etc. In fact, I’ve got two new, proposed acronyms: One.  “WIAS”:  for “Where Is, As Is” — business and Realtor-speak for, “don’t even think about raising inspection...
Read More

“Anyone Know a Good Family Restaurant in Hopkins??”

Apparently, just so there won’t be any confusion about its clientele, the full name of Hoagie’s diner on Main Street in Hopkins is “Hoagie’s Family Restaurant” (per the sign on the awning, above). Sure enough, the place was packed with families around 10 a.m. this morning (I was in the area running errands). I got great...
Read More

How to Reduce Paper Consumption by 50%(!)

THAT Was Obvious I just grabbed lunch at the Uptown Lund’s (daily special:  meatloaf with 2 sides for $5.99), but couldn’t find the total on the receipt the cashier handed me (it looked like the receipt had been cut off). Puzzled, I asked the cashier, who told me to check the back. Voila!  Lunds’ receipts are now double-sided....
Read More
1 2 3 4 5 6 75

Archives