Category

Community

Michael Lewis’ Growing List of Enemies

“Flash Boys” Fallout:  The Various Shades of Red Michael Lewis’ list of enemies — many inspired by his new book, “Flash Boys” — just got longer. That’s because of the stock market fallout in the wake of Lewis’ book, out last week, which peeled back the curtain on how high frequency trading (“HFT”) really works,...
Read More

Spring Colors! (kind of)

OK, so those flowers that just popped up in front of Fern Hill restaurant Yum! are silk, not the real kind. But, they’ve certainly got the right idea . . . P.S.:  Even though the Twin Cities is enjoying its first warm weekend since ???, it’s still early for tulips and other harbingers of Spring.
Read More

Suddenly Scrambling for Sunglasses

Winter Respite (Sort of) Combine a seasonally VERY strong sun (equivalent to late August); a brilliant white landscape (thanks to 8″ of fresh snow Thursday/Friday); and a brilliant, cloud-free day (the first in the Twin Cities in a long while), and what do you get? A LOT of area residents scrambling to find their sunglasses....
Read More

Hot Ticket on a Cold Night: ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’

Demand and (Very Limited) Supply Is Wes Anderson’s latest movie, “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” as good as the reviews say? I don’t know:  it was sold out last night at the one Twin Cities theatre showing it (“Uptown” located . . . you know where). Given the off-night and bitter cold (at least for mid-March),...
Read More

“Matthew McConaughey for President!?!?” (Guess Who’s Using “Ranked Choice Voting”)

Behind the Scenes at the Oscars “There are about 1,100 actors in the Academy, by far its largest branch. Naturally, they don’t all have the same opinion. Some responded more to “The Wolf of Wall Street,” “Dallas Buyers Club” or “Nebraska,” all best picture nominees as well. Marking those or the other contenders ” “Her,”...
Read More

“To the (Snow) Barricades!”

Snow Shoveling Double Jeopardy “Every time I think I’m out . . . they keep pulling me back in.” –Michael Corleone, “The Godfather III” Thousands of Minnesotans who thought they’d finally dug their way out of the latest snowfall — more than 10” in the last 48 hours — learned otherwise this morning. That’s when...
Read More
1 3 4 5 6 7 75

Archives