September 1, 2015

Soupy September Start in the Twin Cities

Calendar Confusion What follows “September-in-August?” “August-in-September.” After an unusually chilly late August, with overnight lows in the 40’s(!), the Twin Cities is now being treated(?) to an unusually muggy stretch in the high 80’s. Natives know that such schizophrenic weather is par for the course locally.
Read More

Relocating the Laundry (Usually, Up)

The Reason to Put the Laundry (Back) in the Basement I just met a client’s plumber, who quoted the cost to move a basement laundry to the first floor in a “For Sale” home my client is considering. According to the plumber, that’s the direction of the move 90% of the time. The other 10%?...
Read More

Uh-oh, Ben Stein Says Not to Worry About China

Parallels With Subprime Mortgage Melt-Down “The U.S. economy’s output is roughly $18.4 trillion per year. Total exports to China are very roughly $120 billion per year. That’s a lot of hamburgers, but it’s roughly seven-tenths of one percent of the U.S. economy. If our exports to China fell by 20 percent — a large number — that...
Read More