Realtor “Lifelines” and Shortcuts

When most people think of home inspections, they think of the Buyer’s home inspection.

But at least in the Twin Cities, 14 municipalities have their own, Seller-required inspection.

Navigating that labyrinth¬†— at least for Edina Realty agents — is ordinarily a two-step process:¬† 1) log on to Edina Realty’s “ProKit” software, then go to the “Legal” section where there is a list of cities that require such inspections; and 2) call the city (or wade through their Web site) to see if the city’s ordinance applies to the type of property you’re listing (in this case, a condominium).

Or . . . you can pick up the phone and call an inspector you regularly work with, and who’s an authority on the subject.

Running short on time before a listing presentation this afternoon, I opted for the latter — and got the answer I needed in 20 seconds.

Thanks, Clay!  (that would be ace housing inspector Clay Thompson).

About the author

Ross Kaplan has 19+ years experience selling real estate all over the Twin Cities. He is also a 12-time consecutive "Super Real Estate Agent," as determined by Mpls. - St. Paul Magazine and Twin Cities Business Magazine. Prior to becoming a Realtor, Ross was an attorney (corporate law), CPA, and entrepreneur. He holds an economics degree from Stanford.

Leave a Reply