Unrealistic Sellers Meet Their Match
Their counterpart, the Unrealistic Seller, has received more ink and attention, but these days Unrealistic Buyers are just as numerous — and intractable.
As a public service to would-be Home Sellers, herewith are my top ten signs that you may be dealing with an Unrealistic Buyer (any resemblance to real persons isn’t purely coincidental) :
10. They’re on their third Realtor — or don’t have one.
9. They’ve been looking for more than a year . . .
8. and have seen more than 30 homes, which they’ve all pronounced “grossly overpriced” (and otherwise deficient).
7. They’ve yet to make an offer on a home.
6. They’ve already made offers on more than four homes — none of which has even elicited a (genuine) counter-offer.
5. If they actually receive a serious counter-offer, they refuse to work with it.
4. They know the minutiae of the Purchase Agreement and Addenda as well as their Realtor — and are better at opening lockboxes.
3. They offer more than 15% below a well-priced home’s asking price (see also, #6).
2. They have no discernible timetable or catalyst (new job, baby, expiring lease, etc.) for buying a home (see also, #9).
1. They let you know that they’re thinking about getting their real estate license.
Forewarned is forearmed (now read “Serious Buyers: Top Ten Signs” to contrast with the foregoing).
P.S.: Sign #11: they’ll only agree to buy something for 20% or more below market . . . if they can sell their current home for 20% above market.