Once upon a time in residential real estate, there was just one kind of sale:  between an ordinary Seller and a Buyer (usually represented by their Realtors).

Then, after the Wall Street-engineered housing bust, every other deal (literally) involved either a bank owner (foreclosure), or an underwater homeowner who needed bank relief to sell (called a “short sale”).

The latter two situations were lumped together as “lender-mediated sales.”

Which left the question:  what do you call a regular (normal) transaction?

Answer:  “a traditional sale.”  See, “Non-Traditional vs. Regular Sales.

Cue Electronic Signatures

The advent of now-ubiquitous electronic signatures has raised a similar question.

Namely, what do you call a plain, old ordinary signature? (still perfectly acceptable — and required for recording many real estate-related doc’s with the local county/government authority).

Answering that question requires working your way backwards.

So, apparently one of the synonyms for an electronic signature is a “dry” signature.

Ergo, the opposite of a “dry” signature is  . . . a “wet” one.

P.S.: The nomenclature conundrum recalls one of my favorite Mad magazine cartoons, showing a food stand vendor in front of a big sign that reads “Turkey burgers, chicken burgers, veggie burgers, buffalo burgers” ” and on and on.

The caption:  “We have some with ham, too, but we don’t know what to call them.”

About the author

Ross Kaplan has 19+ years experience selling real estate all over the Twin Cities. He is also a 12-time consecutive "Super Real Estate Agent," as determined by Mpls. - St. Paul Magazine and Twin Cities Business Magazine. Prior to becoming a Realtor, Ross was an attorney (corporate law), CPA, and entrepreneur. He holds an economics degree from Stanford.

Leave a Reply